Standing proud at the corner of Wellington West and Sherbrooke in Hintonburg. Image: May 2014.
The Hintonburger has been slinging Hintonburg's favourite burgers for some time now. In 2012 a growing business necessitated a move from the original location (home to SuzyQ today), to the recently-departed KFC down the street. Though they initially tried to save the instantly recognizable bucket for nostalgia's sake, it was not possible without the Colonel's permission. Which they were denied. So then, when was the bucket perched upon the post?
Though they have rapidly disappeared in the city, there used to be a large number of Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises owned and operated by Scott's Restaurants ("Chicken Villa"). Looking back at the proliferation across the city, it becomes clear that they have largely disappeared as quickly as they appeared.
Scott’s Restaurants was the venture of Toronto-area entrepreneur George R. Gardiner. At some point, he seems to have secured the franchise rights for the Bowles Lunch outlets in Ottawa and Toronto and began to grow the business.
By 1957, the Bowles name and image was becoming to be seen as more than a little tired – the men’s only restaurants hardly captured a family image, to say nothing of the (slowly) growing feelings of equality. Gardiner secured the franchise rights to Kentucky Fried Chicken in 1961 and began to sell the Colonel’s secret recipe in the existing Bowles restaurants which he soon re-christened as Scott’s Chicken Villa to match the number of other opened Scott’s Chicken Villas.
In 1965, Harland Sanders and his wife relocated to Mississauga in order to oversee the operations and make sure that Scott’s was not only doing chicken right, but also rapid franchise expansion.
Scott's Chicken Villa arrived in Hintonburg in the fall of 1969, at the same time as the major announcement. Prior to the arrival of Scott's, the lot at 1096 Wellington West had most recently been occupied by Gordie Panatlone's British-American service station.
Gordie's BA also wasn't the only Hintonburg service station to replace by fast food. Cliff Harris’ Esso Station at Wellington and McCormick was replaced by an A&W Drive-In, around 1970, before becoming the Royal Bank that it is today.
Although it may not seem like it today, Hintonburg was a rough neighbourhood when Scott's arrived.
Mississauga either. That’s where he met the lion. Sanders and his wife moved there in 1965 in order to oversee Scott’s in the opening of the outlets in Canada. Source: Ottawa Journal, July 14, 1966.
Though the Scott’s name may have disappeared from the landscape it doesn’t mean that they’re gone. While the franchising wing (Priszm) filed for bankruptcy after a lengthy dispute with Yum (KFC’s parent), Scott’s Real Estate Investment Trust rolled on. In 2013, it was purchased by Plaza Retail REIT . The ghosts of rotating buckets both past and present may be found in their restaurant space portfolio.
- Christopher Ryan: Ponderosa, Ottawa's steakhouse bonanza
- The unmarked graves of Ottawa's other KFC's
- Public wake for the Hintonburg KFC
- Hintonburger KFC bucket sign now available on Kijiji
(See more on our blog from Christopher...)
See also: Ottawa Food Guide
If you liked this post, you should subscribe to etcetera, our free email newsletter. Featuring cool Ottawa events, interesting local news and contests and giveaways. Thanks!