We've moved!
Heads up if you're a regular reader of the OttawaStart Blog in this space,
we've moved our blog posts over to our main web site at http://ottawastart.com



May 28, 2012

What's new at this year's Doors Open Ottawa, June 2-3, 2012

Very impressive that there are 128 buildings on the list for this year's Doors Open Ottawa.  Each year, more and more organizations jump on board and let people come inside and explore.  Here's a list of new buildings on this year's tour.  (Photos and text are from the City of Ottawa.)

(You should also check out our blog post from last year: "OttawaStart's off-the-beaten-trail picks for Doors Open Ottawa".  Most of our picks from last year are participating again in 2012.)

Algonquin Centre for Construction Excellence
1408 Woodroffe Ave. (ACCE Building)

Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Built in 2011, this 190,000 square foot contemporary facility has been designed to be an inter-professional space that encourages collaboration between all construction and design related programs offered at the college in a single location, creating an integrated and cross-program learning environment for students. The space features: a five-storey biowall made up of living plants that filters the air, built-in sensors located throughout the building provide real-time and historical building diagnostics via on-site LCD screens, a green roof and much more! Convenient parking for the ACCE building can be found at 100 Constellation Avenue. Access to the ACCE Building can be found on the West or South end of the building. www.Algonquincollege.com/ACCE

Alphonse Rochon House, Jean-Claude Bergeron Art Gallery
150 Patrick St.

Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Built in the 1890s, 150 St. Patrick was owned by Alphonse Rochon, one of the main woodcarvers who worked on the Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica in Ottawa. The style matches the Victorian-Bourgeois style of the period. The front of the building was completely restored based on photos from the early 20th century. The interior, which has been brilliantly preserved, has been home to a contemporary art gallery since 1992. The exhibit on display until June 2 is by Alex Wyse, a well-known Ottawa artist.


Barry Padolsky Associates Inc., Architects
377 Dalhousie St., Suite 313
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
“Mercury Court Building” was originally constructed in 1923. It was once home to the Larocque Department Store. Additions were made to the space in 1930 by William Noffke. It has since been renovated and expanded upon from 1989 to 1993 by Barry Padolsky Associates Inc. and now home to the Architectural Firm by the same name. Some features include a Mercury weathervane by the American sculptor, W. H. Mullen, which was rescued from the Sun Life Building , demolished in 1949.


Canadian War Museum
1 Vimy Place
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Canadian War Museum is Canada’s national museum of military history. Its outstanding exhibitions, comprising some 500,000 military artifacts from rare vehicles, art and artillery to uniforms, medals and personal memoirs, explains Canada’s rich military past from earliest times to the present and its collections are among the world’s finest military holdings. Join us for a one-hour exclusive tour of the Museum’s collections vaults. No flash photography. PLEASE NOTE: Space is limited. Guided tours by pre-registration only. Contact our Call Centre at 819-776-7000 (choose your language, then press 5) to register and confirm the time and language of your tour. Tour is free, however, admission to the Museum’s other exhibits is not.


City of Ottawa Central Archives and Ottawa Public Library Materials Centre 
100 Tallwood Dr.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
Designed by Shoalts and Zaback Architects, and Barry J. Hobin and Associates Architects, as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) building featuring a variety of energy-saving technologies and renewable resources. The Archives consists of a public reference room, exhibition gallery, conservation laboratory, and state-of-the-art vaults. The Library Materials Centre is the hub for delivering materials to all 33 branches and the Bookmobile. The Automated Materials Handling System helps sort the library materials to ensure they are delivered to the right location. Tours and activities for all ages.


Embassy of the Kingdom of Spain
74 Stanley Ave.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. /Sun. CLOSED
The building was constructed in 1958 as the Canadian Headquarters for The Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons. It was designed by the firm of architects Hazelgrove, Lithwick and Lambert. It is a modern structure with two 2 storey, T-shaped, heritage style building. The front portion is Clad in Limestone. The front wing has a large designed stairway with marvel treads leading to the main floor with the upper lobby circular skylights. It contains fine engravings and modern Spanish art. There are restricted areas. No photographs or video allowed. ID required for entry. On shuttle route.


Embassy of the Republic of Angola
189 Laurier Ave. E.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
Formerly known as Panet House, it was built by Colonel Charles-Eugène Panet, Deputy Minister of Militia and Defence, in 1876. In 1915, the building was acquired by another owner who added on a third storey, by replacing the roof with bedroom suites, converting the building into apartments. In 1986, the house became part of the King Edward Avenue Heritage Conservation District. On shuttle route.



Joyful Land Buddhist Centre

879 Somerset St. W. (entrance: west of building)
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
Joyful Land Buddhist Centre is the focal point for the Ottawa community of the modern tradition of Mahayana Buddhism called New Kadampa Tradition. It sits at the cross-roads of Chinatown and Little Italy. The heart of the building is a beautiful shrine where marvellous Buddha statues can be admired. This inspiring space is where meditation programs are offered, helping people to develop inner peace and good hearts. The bookshop offers an extensive selection of books, ritual implements and artwork. Visitors will see a thriving Buddhist centre, learn about various programs and have the opportunity to participate in short meditations. W, R, $P

National Association of Friendship Centres (NAFC)
275 MacLaren St.
Sat. & Sun 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Surrounded by historic ambience the NAFC offices are housed in one of Ottawa’s finest heritage buildings “The Pope House.” Built in 1887, for Richard Pope, Deputy Commissioner of Patents, the space features irregular massings and rooflines that are typical of the Queen Anne style. Its several sympathetic additions include the semi-circular veranda (which is now our boardroom) and enclosed porch & sunroom which serves as our reception area. The Pope House was officially designated an Ottawa Heritage Building in 1987. The NAFC purchased the building in 1997 and is currently the national headquarters for the Friendship Centre Movement across Canada.

New Edinburgh House
255 MacKay St.
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
New Edinburgh House is the new home of the Crichton Cultural Community Centre, since August 2011. The building was once the manse for the MacKay United Church and was originally donated to the Church by Cristina MacKay, daughter of Thomas MacKay, in 1894. This large red-brick Victorian home was built by Henry Avery, originally a cabinet maker for Thomas MacKay and builder of many buildings in New Edinburgh. The studios of the Mainworks Artists’ Cooperative will be open to visitors and examples of our programming will be taking place. Old photos and documents will be on display.

NORR Architects
6th Floor, 55 Murray St.
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Located inside the Carriageway building, NORR Architects occupies the entire top floor of the north part of the heritage building. Renovated in 2009 to suit a growing design practise, the interior is a modern insertion, yet respectful of the form and materials of the building. Now’s your chance to explore the work space of a modern architectural design firm. The main studios may be restricted due to some of the highly secure work we undertake, but the boardrooms and some architectural models and drawings of our heritage work will be accessible. On shuttle route.


Northern Lights Educational Services - Turkish Cultural Centre
26 Thorncliff Place, 2nd Floor
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Northern Lights Educational Services is home to the Turkish Cultural Centre. The newly renovated space will house two distinguished exhibitions as well as panoramic views of the new Intercultural Dialogue Institute (IDI) to be constructed in Kanata. IDI will be an architectural spectacle once constructed. The two exhibitions will be the Sacred Trusts from the Topkapi Palace Museum in Istanbul and the Art of Living Together. The Art of Living Together is composed of Ottoman Decrees safeguarding the rights and values of minorities in the vast empire. An exemplar model for multicultural societies. Turkish food and music will be showcased.

OC Transpo Industrial Garage
745 Industrial Ave.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m./ Sun. CLOSED
OC Transpo opened this maintenance garage, the first of its kind in over 30 years, in September 2010. This is one of the most modern bus garages in North America, measuring 480 ft. by 430 ft. It is the first transit garage in North America that is LEED Silver Rated Certified (Environmental) and equipped with latest technology in wireless controlled hydraulic hoist. On display: OC Transpo’s bus evolution – the oldest in our fleet to the newest articulated bus and the double decker bus.


Official Residence of the Ambassador of Ireland 
291 Park Rd.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
The estate was originally built in 1938. Designed by local Ottawa architect Gordon Hughes, it is a Canadian interpretation of a French chateau. It became the residence of the Irish Ambassador to Canada in 1961. Extensive refurbishment work was completed in 2010. The project received a Certificate of Merit from the Ottawa Architectural Conservation Awards in 2011 for respecting and reflecting the local heritage of Rockcliffe Park. Many handmade furnishings, fixtures, and art pieces are displayed throughough the Residence that have come directly from Ireland and showcase the skills of Irish artists and craftspeople. A series of paintings by Irish artist Val Byrne commemorates the many ships that have made significant voyages between Ireland and Canada. No photography or video. On shuttle route.


Official Residence of the Ambassador of Sweden 
700 Manor Ave.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
This Queen Anne Revival residence was designed by Architect Allan Keefer in 1913 for his brother Thomas C. Keefer II. The brothers were grandchildren of engineer Thomas C. Keefer, the founder of Rockcliffe Park. The estate was purchased by the Swedish government in 1944 and until present day, has been used as both a private accommodation and representation area. Situated on 4.5 acres of land overlooking the Ottawa River, the residence features two asymmetrical main façades true to its style, characterized by large chimneys, long verandas and Flemish-style gable walls decorated with curved pediments. The representation areas of the residence and the garden will be open for viewing. On shuttle route.


Official Residence of the High Commissioner of South Africa 
5 Rideau Gate
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Located across the street from 24 Sussex, this cut stone house was built around 1842 for banker James Stevenson. It served as residence of Moss K. Dickinson, Mayor of Ottawa (1867-1869) and of Isaac B. Taylor, owner of the Ottawa Citizen newspaper (1869-1878). The interior trim and mouldings date from the 1860’s. Ample and rich dimensions throughout; some highlights include: beautiful hallway ceiling detailing and marble fireplaces. The structure changed from 1.5 storeys to 2 storeys in the 1920s. In 1944, the estate was purchased by the Union of South Africa and extensively remodeled. In the 1960s, a sunroom was added as well as the adjoining office building. Access limited to ground floor rooms. On shuttle route.



Access to the Mail Processing Plant has been "cancelled due to unforseen circumstances."

Ottawa Mail Processing Plant
1424 Sandford Fleming Ave.
Sat. CLOSED / Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The first mechanized mail processing plant of its kind in Canada, the OMPP is an industrial building designed by D’Arcy Helmer. The OMPP was originally located in this area because of its proximity to the train station. Back then, mail was sorted on the train en route to its destination. A tunnel linking the train station to the OMPP was built to carry the mail. Today, the OMPP processes over two million pieces of mail every day.”Communigraph ’70,” a metal sculpture located outside the main entrance of the building, was created by Canadian artist Arthur Price (1918-2001).
(This building was on the list last year, but did not open because of a labour dispute at Canada Post.)


Ottawa Police Service Professional Development Centre 
1385 Woodroffe Ave., Building P
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sunday, CLOSED
The Police and Public Safety Institute opened at the Algonquin College Woodroffe Campus in November 1999. The building houses the Ottawa Police Service Professional Development Centre alongside Algonquin College programs such as Police Foundations and similar program for firefighting and paramedics. Exciting demonstrations and interactive displays will be available for members of the community.


Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation - Maplesoft Centre 
1500 Alta Vista Dr.
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In response to the growing needs of cancer survivors and their families, the Cancer Foundation opened Canada’s first Cancer Survivorship Centre in 2011. Designed as a home away from home, the interior of the Centre is warm and welcoming with all elements centered on creating a calm and relaxing atmosphere for all who visit. Elements the five Wu Xing were incorporated throughout, while earth-friendly materials and products were used to help achieve a holistic approach. The Centre offers a variety of programs such as fitness, nutrition, yoga, meditation, and art therapy.


Parkdale Food Centre 
89 Stonehurst Ave.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
The Parkdale Food Centre is the food bank that serves the Hintonburg and Mechanicsville communities. 2012 marks the 25th year this food bank has provided emergency food hampers to those in need. Originally founded by the Queensway Social Action Group, the Parkdale Food Centre is now part of the Ottawa Food Bank’s distribution network.We invite past and present volunteers, neighbours, clients, and anyone who would like to see how a local food bank operates, to visit the Parkdale Food Centre during Doors Open Ottawa and help us celebrate this important anniversary.


Saint Vincent Hospital 
60 Cambridge St. N.
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Ottawa’s only complex continuing care hospital was founded in 1924. This 336-bed hospital was originally named Saint Vincent House and located on King Edward Street in Ottawa. In 1932, it was taken over by the Grey Nuns of the Cross and moved to the current Cambridge St. location, which overlooks Lebreton Flats, the Canadian War Museum and the Ottawa River. Today Saint Vincent Hospital cares for patients with long-term care needs. Come tour the beautifully re-designed atrium which mixes the old world building with modern architectural style.


South Nepean Muslim Community (SNMC) 
3131 Jockvale Rd.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
Formerly a school house, the Jockvale Heritage building is now home to the SNMC members until its new mosque at 3020 Woodroffe Avenue is complete. The two-storey building was built around 1861. Visitors will be required to take off their shoes in some areas.





St. Brigid's Centre for the Arts and The Rectory Art House 
179 Murray St.
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saint Brigid’s church and rectory were built in the early 1890s to serve a growing Irish Canadian population in Lowertown Ottawa. They feature an eclectic blend of architectural styles, as was common in the Victorian era. The church was designated a heritage property by the City of Ottawa in 1981. In 2007 Saint Brigid’s was officially deconsecrated and was re-conceptualized as a centre for arts, culture, and Irish heritage. The Rectory Art House provides eleven artists with private studio space and is also the headquarters for the Ottawa StoryTellers. Tours inside the church will be subject to numbers and availability.

St. Matthew's Anglican Church 
130 Glebe Ave.
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
St. Matthew’s Anglican Church was constructed between 1929 and 1930 as the Great Depression savaged Canada. Its architect, Cecil Burgess, celebrated the beauty of English ecclesiastical architecture. Extensive restoration work on the handsome neo-Gothic church, led by Ottawa’s Robertson Martin Architects, received an Ottawa Architectural Conservation Certificate of Merit. The church is known for musical excellence, with several notable boy choristers, namely Gerald Finley, Daniel Taylor and Matthew White, who have achieved international acclaim. View Ottawa Heiko Schlieper’s original “Way of the Cross” icons. Taped choral music and refreshments. Choral Eucharist on Sunday at 10 a.m. Choral Evensong at 4 p.m.


St. Paul's-Eastern United Church 

473 Cumberland St.
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
A heritage building since 1983, this church was erected in 1889. It was built in the Romanesque Revival style, and designed by architect Sidney R. Badgley, who was best known for his work on Massey Hall. Built from local stone and wood, the church is amphitheatre in plan, with circular seating in native hardwood. The sanctuary has prominent dark solid wood beams. The Casavant pipe organ was built in Quebec, installed in 1910 and is still in service. Furnishings of native hardwood date back to 1889. First congregation dates back to 1845. Special music and art during tour.


St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church 
400 Sparks St.
Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Erected in 1952, this church was built of Sandstone from Nepean. The space was designed by Cecil Burgess, in the English Gothic Style. The Bell Carillon was installed in 1967 and the Casavant Organ was dedicated in 1977. The stain glass windows throughout the church are the work of Russell Goodman and his son, Christopher. The windows were installed between 1985 and 1993. Landscaping renovation was completed in 2010 for the 100th anniversary of the congregation. On shuttle route.



The Office of CSV Architects 
402-1066 Somerset St. W.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. / Sun. CLOSED
CSV Architects office was designed through a joint effort by staff and modeled to reflect a collaborative working environment. The office was designed using an open office concept, which features views and natural light for all team members. CSV employs the latest 3D modeling software and specializes in sustainable design and will have many of its current LEED projects designs on display.



See also: Ottawa Community & Neighbourhoods Guide
If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to our blog via email, Twitter, Facebook or RSS. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.