|From May 20, 2011: Flames rise from townhouses on fire on Remnor Ave. |
This shot is looking west towards Kanata. Photo by Arne Berg.
It's the latest in a string of fires in the west end of Ottawa. I did some searches on Google and came up with this list of suspicious fires in the area in the past 18 months. All of them happened in unoccupied buildings and most of them happened overnight. Arson is suspected in many of these cases, but investigators have not officially announced any link between the incidents.
- November 20, 2011: Police probe "minor suspicious" fire on Buttonwood Trail (Amberwood) in Stittsville
- October 26, 2011: Garbage set on fire near Hobin and Pullman Avenue in Stittsville
- September 30, 2011: Fire at a home under construction at 721 Eagle Crest Heights in Stittsville
- September 14, 2011: Fire in a portable at Sacred Heart High School on Abbott Road in Stittsville
- September 5, 2011: Fire at a home under construction at 719 Eagle Crest Heights in Stittsville
- September 2, 2011: Fire at a home under construction on Loreka Court (near Hartin) in Stittsville
- June 16, 2011: Barn fire in Stittsville at 7455 Flewellyn Rd.
- May 20, 2011: Fire at townhouses under construction on Remnor Ave. in Kanata (near Kanata Ave. / Terry Fox).
- May 9, 23 and 27, 2011: Three suspicious fires in Bells Corners, including an unoccupied bungalow on Richmond Rd., and two separate fires at at stone farmhouse and barn at 305 Robertson Rd.
- July 1, 2010: Fire at a home under construction on Feldspar Crescent in the Granite Ridge area of Stittsville
- May 4, 2010: A fire at nearly-complete condo development in Bridlewood (Kanata) destroys 20 homes
UPDATE: One of our readers pointed out another fire in the area: On December 3/4, 2010, fire destroyed the JC's Orchard & Nursery building at the corner of Fallowfield & Moodie.
See also: Ottawa Community News Guide
If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to our blog via email, Twitter, Facebook or RSS. Thank you.