We've moved!
Heads up if you're a regular reader of the OttawaStart Blog in this space,
we've moved our blog posts over to our main web site at http://ottawastart.com

June 08, 2011

PHOTO: Incredible shot of lightning, today at the Experimental Farm


Just got an email from Jared Young, who sent along this AMAZING photo during the storm -- along with a few more here on his Flickr page.

"One of them is only about 400m from where I was, but I could not find the exact location of the hit when I went to look for it. Too bad, as it would have made a neat set of photos. People were still walking and cycling along the road in the farm, right out in the open, while I was taking these, a bit to the side on that one hit and I would suddenly be practicing first aid in the rain."

So how did he get this amazing shot, without getting killed?

"I saw on the Franktown Radar that a storm was coming in. So I headed to a site near my house that I had scouted months earlier for just this occasion. There is a large shed with a covered area on the side in the western fields of the Experimental Farm. I got there just as the rain started. I setup the camera, tested some exposures (smallest apeture at f/22 and about 2s exposure). I setup the remote for continuious shooting and framed in the sky. About 450 shots later and I had some keepers. One hit was only a few hundred meters away."

See also: Ottawa Weather Guide
If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to our blog via email, Twitter, Facebook or RSS. Thank you.


  1. That is an amazing photo!

  2. That shows the benefits of digital photography. And patience! Well done. What I find funny is that the tree frogs continued to chirp while the thunder and lightning boomed!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.