|Used Armchair #2. Photo by Eric Charlebois.|
The Hidden Treasures Give Away Weekend will take place on Saturday, June 4 and Sunday, June 5, 2011. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Set unwanted items out at the curb on Give Away Weekend to help others and help the environment. For treasure hunters, tour your neighbourhood, community and city to find those hidden gems.
Treasures can include anything and everything that may be of use to others... books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances and even those unwanted gifts. For a complete list of acceptable items and for basic rules and etiquette to ensure safety and successful treasure hunting, visit ottawa.ca
Residents are reminded to consider safety when deciding which items to set out to the curb. The Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that used children's items such as baby walkers, yo-yo balls, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds, toys and other child-related items should not be placed out at the curb.
Rules for setting out the treasures:
- Place items at the curb with stickers or signs on items with the word "FREE".
- Ensure items that you want to keep are away from your give away treasures.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected gems back to your home.
Treasure hunting etiquette:
- Respect other people's property - don't walk on people's lawns and gardens.
- Take only the treasures marked free at the curb.
- Don't discard previously picked-up treasures on another person's lawn.
See also: Ottawa Used Stuff Guide