Earlier this week City Council approved changes to residential waste collection. The changes include bi-weekly garbage pick-up, intended to encourage green bin usage. One of the big beefs with green bins last summer was the presence of maggots.
Maggots can be gross. (For example, never do a Google image search for maggots. Never.) But I think they get a bad rap. As Diane Holmes pointed out, they are a great source of protein, at least for birds. They can also be used to heal wounds (known as "maggot therapy"). So, tonight on Twitter I asked readers for suggestions for a kinder, gentler, cuddlier, fuzzier, nicer name for maggots. Here are some of your suggestions:
- Enviropillars (@yonifreedhoff) this is my fave
- Disco Rice (@ottawamag)
- Maggie Mays (@ottawall)
- Fly Babies (@alistairsteele)
- Bin Worms (@thinkhelen)
- Compost Cuddlers (@ottawhine)
- Meat Monkeys (@theodotblog)
- Meat Buddies (@atomicnoggin)
- Baby Flies (@forbeswalker)
- Squirmy Wormies (@bitofmomsense)
- Moopy Schmoopies (@murpharee)
Which ones are your favourites? Your suggestions are appreciated - please add them to the comments below.
P.S.: Does anybody have a good maggot recipe?
See also: Ottawa Green Guide