Earlier tonight we launched a new look for OttawaStart - check it out here. It was about time - our last major upgrade was back in 2005, and since then our site has expanded and internet technology has changed quite a bit. It was time to clean up all the old links and features that we'd grafted onto the old site design, and clean things up!
Here are some of the other big improvements you'll see:
- A better front page. We re-organized the front page to add more content, including a new "What Ottawa's Talking About" widget with the latest Ottawa news from Twitter, and a bigger spot for our popular "Featured Photo".
- Faster page loading. For the geeks who are reading, mostly that's from changing from an HTML table-based layout to a CSS column design. We used the 960 Grid System as the basis for the site.
- Bigger fonts. We know that many of our readers are getting older, so we chose a larger serif font (Georgia) for the main content on our site.
- Community News. Not really new - but we've changed the name to better reflect our free community news service. Click here for the latest headlines.
- A new logo. Thanks to Kari Lebeau for the new logo design. She's an Ottawa graphic and web designer.
Related: OttawaStart's About Us Page