But a company that cleans your green bin? I was curious about the company so I emailed five questions to Brian Ashe, their VP of Sales. Here's his reply - lightly edited:
1. Where did the idea for a "green bin cleaning" service come from?
Green bin cleaning originated in the UK and is now widespread through the US, Australia, Africa and making its way through all Canadian Provinces.
2. Do you know of any other companies offering similar services -- either in Ottawa or elsewhere?
With the growth of green bin programs, many companies are providing home owners an effective method to safely keep their bins sanitized. Companies such as:
3. Can you briefly explain how it works?
- VIP Bin Cleaning - Toronto, ON
- Bin Doctor - Halifax, NS
- BinBlaster - Maple Ridge, BC
- Lave Bac Bin cleaning - Montreal, QC
- Fresh Bins Canada - Toronto, ON
BinAces Inc uses a state of the art mobile wash unit that cleans green bins or garbage bins onsite the same day the bins are emptied. We use a self contained wash unit and then deodorize the bin leaving it fresh for the next use. Customers can choose to have their bin cleaned weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or as needed with a one time clean.
4. How much does it cost?
Bin Aces Inc offers a variety of pricing options on our website for green bin users to choose from, but the average cost is $10.50 (per cleaning) for the three annual contracts and we do currently offer a 15% discount for a limited time.
5. I'm ok with just using a hose and some soap to clean out my green bin, just like I do for my recycling bins or garbage bins -- why would I pay for this kind of service?
BinAces Inc is helping others to do their part and protecting our environment as well as making the Green Bin Program in the city Successful:
- Households that wash their green bin with a hose usually use a harmful chemical which aid in cleaning, we use only green products.
- Households that wash their green bin and garbage bin in their driveway will use approximately 250 liters of water that becomes contaminated and seeps into our water beds so we’ve used a lot of water and it becomes harmful to our lakes streams and waterways.
- BinAces Inc uses specialized equipment that filters and recycles the water supply on our mobile wash unit and uses 250 liters to clean up to 250 green bins and dumps contaminated water at a municipal treatment site so the water is properly treated so we are sure not to harm our environment.
- From personal experience we say we will simply clean our green bin with a hose but the wives of many husbands will say it just doesn’t happen until maggots appear, a child becomes sick in the household, etc so we are here to make sure it’s done and its done properly leaving no mess.
What do you think? Would you use a green bin cleaning service? How messy is your green bin after a couple of months of use?
Related: Ottawa Services & Utilities Guide