We've moved!
Heads up if you're a regular reader of the OttawaStart Blog in this space,
we've moved our blog posts over to our main web site at http://ottawastart.com

December 18, 2008

OC Transpo Strike: Day 9

What's new today:
Related: Ottawa OC Transpo Guide


  1. It is so wrong that a union has the legal ability to not just directly hurt a company, but ruin the economy of a city, put innocent people out of work and hurt families. I hope that the bus drivers appreciate the harm that they brought upon the innocent. Years ago, Ronald Reagan fired all air traffic controllers, gave them a number of days to resign if they chose, and those that didn't lost their air traffic control jobs permanently. This is what is needed here. There are a lot of people who would love to have a bus driver job. By the way, I said the same thing to, then Toronto Mayor, Mel Lastman during the last garbage strike. He didn't have the guts to do it.

    Giving employees some strength in negotiation with an employer has gotten out disproportional. Here, the damage to others is severe and they do not have direct recourse to push back. That is wrong. Citizens are victim of bully unions.

    Further, I object to the secret negotiations. As an Ottawa taxpayer, I cannot see who is behaving badly, greedily, etc. I cannot decide to vote out the current city administration if I can’t judge their behaviour, nor can I see how bad the union behaviour is if I’m kept in the dark. I believe that in cases where the impact on the public is so damaging, we should be able to judge the facts. I feel helpless against the bus drivers and their unions, don’t you?

  2. Anonymous11:25 AM

    I think that by refusing to declare buses an essential service was the biggest mistake that the mayor could have done. I can get to work by bus from Rockland but once there, I have to get a cab. Thanks to all that crap, I ran out of Christmas money and I don't know if I will be able to afford cabbing soon. The mayor is not a very smart man. The Essential Service for buses works very well in other cities. Yes he goes begging like a baby to the Minister of Labour, instead of making a simple decision.

    We are not very fond of OC Transpo anymore and the mayor as well. Everyone suffers. The businesses, the students who freeze so that they can earn money to live, the elders who have to dig in their tiny pension to get around to grocery shopping and medical attention.

    So have a Happy New Year you idiots at OC transpo and you the dumb and dumber mayor because we are not having a good year right now because someone has his head stuck where the sun don't shine


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.