The first results from the 2006 Census were released today, focusing mainly on population size across Canada. The quick numbers for Ottawa-Gatineau:
- Population in 2006: 1,130,761 (up from 1,067,800 in 2001 - or over 60,000 more residents)
- Ottawa only: 846,802
- Gatineau only: 283,959
- Total private dwellings: 478,242
- Population for square kilometre: 197.8
- Since 2001, Gatineau's population has grown faster (+8.5%) than Ottawa (+5.0%). Statistics Canada says that Gatineau's higher growth rate is largely attributable Ontario residents moving across the Ottawa River into Quebec.
- Ottawa-Gatineau is the fourth-largest metropolitan area in Canada, after Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.
Check out this flash animation showing Ottawa's population growth from 1971-2006.
Related: Ottawa Guide